Welcome to My Tour Tales...

As the new year of 2011 was approaching, I was thinking that I wanted to come up with a way to keep track of all the touring I had ahead of me. When I came up with the idea of doing a blog, I thought that could be a lot of fun. I love to write, and can't wait to follow my travels on here. I hope you find some entertainment from reading this, because I am definitely finding entertainment in writing it!

To start at the beginning, you might want to read "The Unusual Suspects..." first. It has a little bio of the key players in the band. Scroll to the bottom of the page and you can find it in the Archives list.

Thank you so much for stopping by to check it out. I hope you enjoy!

McKenna Medley

Friday, February 4, 2011

Without Inspiration...



As an entertainer, inspiration is what keeps me going. Hearing that crowd cheer every night when we are on that stage; that is what makes the traveling and being away from our friends and family easier. But once the curtain has fallen, and we all go from our sharp and pristine stage attire back to our dingy clothes that have been stuffed in our suitcases all week long, we begin the search, (like everyone else) for the encouragement, inspiration and support from the people closest to us; our friends and family. Even if they happen to be thousands of miles away at the time. 


The world just keeps spinning; and the minutes, hours, days and then weeks seem to keep rushing by without even much acknowledgment. I can’t believe January has already come and gone, leaving only 11 months left in 2011. I have found myself getting lost in my work the last few weeks; which is something I find to be a blessing and a curse. I am so glad that I have gotten so much accomplished (and I apologize for the overload of content- new website, new blogs, new Facebook pages, etc... However, it was all way over due!), but I have lost days at a time by never stopping to look up from my work. And aside from that, we have already done 6 incredible shows on the road! Our energy is still high though, and we are hungry for more!

We have a lot of possibilities coming up in the near horizon. There are talks of trips overseas, fair dates, and more symphony gigs. All of which sound exciting! Also, there are some things I am trying to cook up for myself. I will be sure to keep you posted on all of that as it becomes more nailed down.

There are so many days in which I think about what my plans are for this year. I realize that now is the time to make things happen. It is always so easy to push things off because you are distracted and want to spend time with the people closest to you. But right now I am motivated and ready to attack. I am ready to get out there and go where ever I can to take those all important positive steps into the future that I have dreamt of since I was a little girl standing in front of a karaoke machine that Santa had gotten for me some years ago on Christmas Eve. (And I always keep in mind that no matter how far away I need to travel, or how strangely busy I might be; I will always have my cell phone and/or computer so that I can stay in close contact with the people that keep me balanced and centered. You have to always have that close at hand or else being on the road can be a dreary and lonely place. At least being able to talk with friends and family makes you feel a little closer to home. It truly warms your heart no matter where you are...)

Somedays on the road seem harder and longer than others. There are always a few days you manage to get lost along the way. Often times when I am out there I dream about life at home. Settling down and relishing that simplicity. The fast paced breakneck speed isn’t all it is cracked up to be, but it is a necessary evil. Yet for some reason, I am thriving in that setting this year. It is pushing me and provoking the passion inside me. It is so easy to lose touch of that passion, but it is so important to keep that fire lit. There have been times that it proved to be more of a match light inside me, yet right now I am leaning closer to a forrest fire; and it feels amazing and empowering!

But not all of that can come from inside. I agree with Ralph Waldo Emerson that “Self-trust is the first secret of success.” The first bit of light does need to come from within. But then, “Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.” Another quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson, and I do whole heartedly agree that you need to have enthusiasm to accomplish greatness. Some of that should come from inside, but some of that should also come from those around you. I, (just like everyone else), need to be encouraged by the people that I care about, and whose opinions mean the most to me. Yes, there are moments like right now that I am amped up all on my own- or with the help of watching someone close to me actually getting the chance to live the same dream that I have spent my life fighting for. But even when I am hyped on my own, there is something about the people whose opinions you hold in the highest regard supporting you and bolstering you forward; and that can give you that extra bit of magic. And it is that extra bit of magic that can truly make the difference between glory and failure.

Confidence is key in life, in all aspects. When you attack something, you will not get hurt if you do it with confidence. But when you are unsure, that is when you manage to really injure yourself when you fall. Encouraging someones confidence in themselves is the best gift you can give someone you care about. In fact, it is the best gift you can give anyone period.

“Without inspiration the best powers of the mind remain dormant. There is a fuel in us which needs to be ignited with sparks.” - Johann Gottfried Von Herder

I challenge you to take the next twenty four hours to encourage five of the people you are closest to. And I say specifically the people you are closest to, because those are usually the people you probably skip over the most. Those are the people you say, “well, I can always check in on what they are doing later.” Just like when you have three missed calls and one of them is from your mom, dad or significant other, you most likely care about your mom, dad or significant other more than anyone else that called, but you know you will talk to them or see them later no matter what, so calling them back isn’t the priority. I find that we all do that a lot, everyday, and in a million other small ways. But you are probably the person that they are hoping for encouragement from the most, and it will light them up to see that you care about what they are involved in.

Take the time out to stop the craziness in your own world and pay attention to what they are doing, and support them. Such a small thing like that can really motivate someone. Just to know that someone cares about what they are doing, and what they find to be important to them, can spark something that might give them the courage to take it to the next level and to even excel beyond what they had dreamt of on their own. Take the time to brainstorm with them if they want, and help if they need it. Trust me, it is always a wonderful feeling to help people out- especially the people you are closest to and love the most.  

This is something that personally I try my best at, and do to the best of my ability; but I know there is always room for improvement. Everyone wants to be encouraged when they accomplish something. Everyone wants and deserves that obligatory pat on the back. And just remember that inspiring someone else will inspire you as well.

As A.P. Stanley said “There are glimpses of heaven to us in every act, or thought, or word, that raises us above ourselves.” Help your friends rise above themselves and see the glimpses of heaven that are possible for them.




1 comment: