Welcome to My Tour Tales...

As the new year of 2011 was approaching, I was thinking that I wanted to come up with a way to keep track of all the touring I had ahead of me. When I came up with the idea of doing a blog, I thought that could be a lot of fun. I love to write, and can't wait to follow my travels on here. I hope you find some entertainment from reading this, because I am definitely finding entertainment in writing it!

To start at the beginning, you might want to read "The Unusual Suspects..." first. It has a little bio of the key players in the band. Scroll to the bottom of the page and you can find it in the Archives list.

Thank you so much for stopping by to check it out. I hope you enjoy!

McKenna Medley

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Emotion Equals Art


A lot of people ask me what it takes to be a performer, or what advice I can give them. I am not any more or less wise than the next person- and I would never claim to be; but I have been mentored by truly some of the best. I have watched, and listened for countless hours, days, weeks and years. I have seen behind the curtain, and I have been allowed behind closed doors that most are never welcome. I have been blessed to be able to absorb the ingenious knowledge that has been placed around me. But even so, this is all I can say…

Everything that matters on that stage comes from one place, your heart. It is that simple and that complex. My duty when I am on stage is to give up everything inside me for everyone to witness- no matter what the consequences. When you are a true performer- and more importantly a true artist, you do that without even a momentary thought of the repercussions.

You might be asking what these consequences could be; and they might be slightly different for everyone. But for most people, it usually has to do with their emotions. Every time I walk across that stage, I am allowing myself to open the door to every emotion and feeling inside of me- for everyone to see. It is a very vulnerable position. I take everything that is going on with me at that moment, and I channel that when I sing. If I am going through heartbreak, my heart is bleeding openly on that stage.

It might appear as though this would make it impossible to ever heal emotionally, and sometimes you are right. But a true artist is willing to sacrifice that part of themselves for their art. When we walk out on that stage, if we need to cut open a newly healed scar, we cut open the wound with no hesitation.

However, this is a double-edged sword. As depressing as it can be at certain moments, it can also be a healing process. A lot of times I find myself working out my emotions on stage, and by the time the curtain closes I feel a lot more at peace. There is an amazing power there, and it can envelope you when you allow yourself to be open and naked like that. It doesn’t make it an easier process, but sometimes it can be like therapy.

Therefore, I am a firm believer in not keeping anything inside; let it all out. (I am a believer in this to a fault- as some of my friends and loved ones will profess.) Often you can heal when you open yourself up to that kind of vulnerability. But it doesn’t always work out that easily. After you heal, you will inevitably need to reach back for those feelings at another show. But if you heal a little, and take the time to understand your feelings- and truly understand what you are going through, it probably won’t hurt as much the next time. At least that is the hope…

I can tell you that my band always knows what is going on in my life- and not because I tell them. They know from my performance each night. There has been one guy in my life the past few months, and when I walk off stage, the band will come up to me and say, “Okay, what did he do to make you so happy tonight?” or we’ll get off stage and they’ll say, “Oh my gosh, what did he do to you? What happened? Do we need to go kick his butt? We will you know!” That’s how I know I am connecting with the audience. If the band is understanding my emotion that well, I know the crowd is connecting to me too.

“To a true artist only that face is beautiful which, quite apart from its exterior, shines with the truth within the soul.” Mahatma Gandhi

It is all about feeling something. If you feel something, the audience will feel something. If you don’t feel anything, they will walk away saying, “yeah, good voice”, but they won’t be moved. In my opinion, it is always better to connect emotionally, than to be the best technically. As E. Y. Harburg had said, “Words make you think a thought. Music makes you feel a feeling. A song makes you feel a thought.” That is so much more important. It is more important to move the audience than to show them how technically good you are. Because simply put- everyone understands emotion.

When you see me on stage, if I am on fire that night, chances are there are some things going on in my personal life. Because that is where I find fuel for my fire. I am indeed an emotional cutter for my job. But to do such things, I try to be prepared and in touch with my emotions- when at all possible.

I have stood on stage and cried more than a handful of times. That is honest and real; if I cry on stage, it is because I am emotionally there- I would never cry on cue to try to trick the audience. Sometimes, I’ve had trouble keeping it together. If you are rather emotionally unstable when you get up there, it can be an uphill battle to keep from full on sobbing. But whenever it gets to the point that I might lose it, I channel that into what I am singing.

I know this is something that can make me hard to deal with sometimes, because I have my emotions out in the open, and I don’t hide them, I can’t. I am not going to hide my emotions in a personal relationship with someone, and then turn around and get on stage and let thousands of strangers see the true emotions I am feeling. That just wouldn’t be right. That is why I don’t let a lot of people in too close to me. My emotions are out there, and I am vulnerable a lot, so I need to trust the people close to me, and know that they can handle that and not run away.

Being on stage and being that vulnerable is the true work I do. That is what wears artists down. It drains you like I can’t even explain. But that is the sacrifice; and also the dark beauty of art.

“A life of sacrifice is the pinnacle of art, and is full of true joy.” Mahatma Gandhi




1 comment:

  1. the comment really fits then .. life is a stage and we all r just mere puppets.. but thank you for sharing an inside in ur life..i too feel hidig emotions will show eventually in ur shows.. so its better to take them out before hand so that u can warn ppl wht might they expect in ur performance beforehand.. sorry just poor joke :)..

    ReplyDelete