Welcome to My Tour Tales...

As the new year of 2011 was approaching, I was thinking that I wanted to come up with a way to keep track of all the touring I had ahead of me. When I came up with the idea of doing a blog, I thought that could be a lot of fun. I love to write, and can't wait to follow my travels on here. I hope you find some entertainment from reading this, because I am definitely finding entertainment in writing it!

To start at the beginning, you might want to read "The Unusual Suspects..." first. It has a little bio of the key players in the band. Scroll to the bottom of the page and you can find it in the Archives list.

Thank you so much for stopping by to check it out. I hope you enjoy!

McKenna Medley

Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Tale of Lamar, Texas BBQ, and Bearded Cow Nipples...


April 26, 2011

I had every intention of not leaving town that day. But the night before, I changed my mind. The weather in Branson had been insane for a few days- the rain was intense, and starting to cause a lot of flooding. So I packed up my bags early, and dropped my dog Danny off at a friend’s house. By 2:30pm, I was on the road.

Granite City
I began my drive North to Kansas City. The weather had subsided for a little bit, but it was supposed to get bad again by 3pm, so I got out just in time! I figured that was my perfect window to leave town. I made pretty good time, I was actually in Kansas City in about two and a half hours, but it might have been closer to three hours until I got to the other side of Kansas City that I was going to.

Me and my cinnamon candy apples!
I walked around Zona Rosa shopping center for a while, passing some time. Then I stopped at Granite City for some dinner around 7:30pm. I got a great salad there, and then I was on my way to find a hotel. I checked into a Clarion Hotel by the airport. They actually ended up giving me a great deal on a hotel room and a rate for leaving my car there while I was gone. I was excited about that!

 
I went up to my room, and then shortly had to go downstairs to the business center to try and get some papers filled out and faxed to Tim for an upcoming gig. Their business center was definitely lacking, but I eventually got it done! Once I was back up in my room, I relaxed and did a little reading and writing. I also have to admit that I bought two cinnamon candy apples at the shopping center. I love candy apples! So I was having a bit of a candy apple binge! But soon I was getting ready for bed and fast asleep.


April 27, 2011

I woke up around 10am, not in any real hurry. I got showered, dressed and repacked. I took some stuff out to my car, and moved it to a different parking spot, then went back to my room to pick up my suitcases and get to the lobby by 12:30pm to get on the shuttle to the airport. We left right away for the C terminal, and I was there within a few minutes. I couldn’t understand what the driver was saying as he tried to share a story with me, but he was very nice and friendly!

Checking in was simple. I got my ticket without a problem. Plus, my bags were both under fifty pounds, which is always a nice bonus! I stopped at the little shop before security, and that was interesting... The guy running the shop kept having me try on sunglasses for him and he kept asking me strange personal questions. I bought a book and was on my way as quickly as possible.

Once through security, I just took a seat at the gate and waited for my flight to Houston, Texas to board. It didn’t take too long until we were starting to move onto the plane. We took off right on time at 1:50pm, and it was a pretty easy flight. I got some reading and writing in; then once we started on our decent, the guy sitting next to me started talking to me, and we ended up talking until we were all walking off the plane. He was great. I love it when I get to meet cool people on the plane!

I walked straight down to baggage claim. Soon my bags were coming around the carousel. However, my big suitcase was covered in a plastic bag- which is not how I left it. I realized this was obviously not a good sign. When I got to the bag, the whole thing was open, and appeared broken. I got it together the best I could and walked out to the car.

My Uncle Vern picked me up right at 4pm, and we drove from the airport to The Woodlands. It didn’t take too long- I was expecting it to take longer because of traffic, but we lucked out! I was at his house by 4:20pm, and waiting for my cousin. My uncle and I addressed the suitcase situation, and indeed it appeared to be quite broken. (Only possibly salvageable with a whole lot of duct tape.) Oh well! The price of travel!
Parker and I.

Heather arrived soon, and we were off! We went to her apartment to drop my stuff off, then to iHop- which is typical for my first night in Texas, it is kind of tradition that we go there for dinner. Afterward we went to my other cousin’s house and I got to meet his daughter for the first time (and his daughter is already 18 months! So I’m glad I finally made it down there and got to meet her!). After hanging out there for a bit, it was off to a fun filled visit to Walmart, a run in with a strange man parked next to us, then back to the apartment to hang out for the rest of the night.

We got to hang out with Heather’s boyfriend Deven for a while too since he also lives at the apartment. But Heather demoted him to the couch while I’m in town, so her and I can have the bedroom as a girl zone! It was a great first night in Texas!


April 28, 2011

At the baseball game. From left: Me, Heather,
Jessica and Jenn.
Heather, myself and the wonderful
cotton candy!
Free day in Texas! In short form, Heather and I laid out by the pool, got a very yummy sushi lunch, and did a little shopping. After that, we were on our way to meet up with two friends and drive to downtown Houston for the Astros game. The Astros were playing the Cardinals- and since I am living in Branson now, I figured I needed to root for the Cardinals! I was not too popular there with that opinion! But we all had a great time, some great ballpark food, and the Cardinals did win!



April 29, 2011

Heather and I woke up and were in no rush, so we decided to watch the royal wedding, (which she had recorded earlier that morning!). A beautiful wedding, and great historical moment to watch! Then we started to get ready and by 1pm we left the apartment.

Decided to screw around
and do the hurricane booth
at the mall.
We didn’t go far though, just down the street to the little Greek restaurant. We got a quick lunch, and then we were on our way towards Port Arthur, Texas. The drive wasn’t too long- just under two hours. We got there around 4pm and checked into the hotel. And that proved to be more difficult than expected. The lady at the front desk was very confused. But they gave us a room anyway, I figured Tim would figure the rest out when he got there!

So Heather and I had some time to waste before everyone else made it into town. We toyed with ideas of what to do, and the best option ended up being just going to the mall. We walked around and made a couple purchases. Then stopped for a Starbucks on the way back to the hotel to boost our energy level. We got changed, recouped, and ready for dinner.
Yeah, that's just me sitting by the fake fire
before dinner.

At 7:45pm, we met all the boys, (Dad, Tim, Larry, Bob and Gabe) in the lobby. I was excited about dinner. A car picked us up and took us to a private dinner club in Port Arthur. When we got there, we met Dr. Sam Monroe (who runs Lamar State College, and the event we were doing the next day) and his wife and a couple friends. We had an amazing dinner there! Absolutely wonderful!

By 10pm we were finished up and back at the hotel. We all stopped in the bar for a taste and a little conversation. The stories were funnier than usual. It was a great night, and we were all sitting around a fake fire- which highly entertained us. (The fire was literally made with neon lights in the fireplace.) Gabe was my drink master for the night- taking the wine menu from me, and saying he’d order for me. I’m new to the wine situation, and Gabe obviously knows more about what I’d like than I do. He did a good job!
Myself and Heather on the way back from dinner.

But by 11:30pm, they kicked us out of the bar because it was closing time. So we all went to get ready for bed. Heather and I stayed up for a bit longer, but soon we had fallen asleep as well.


April 30, 2011

Heather and I woke up and had every intention of getting ready and going to the pool, but alas, it was overcast. So we lounged around for a bit, then got dressed and ready for the day. We ran down to the Starbucks, and also searched for a bookstore, but never found it. However, we did go for a ride around Port Arthur to check it all out. But soon we were back at the hotel and getting ready to leave for sound check.

3pm, we met my dad in the lobby and got in the van. Before we went to sound check, we stopped at the Gulf Coast Museum. (We had been informed that there was a wonderful music section there.) It was rather impressive, and great to walk around and soak up some of the history of the area.


Dad and I.
Then we went on our way to the auditorium that we were working in. Dad, Heather and I walked up the small hill next door to see the water. Gorgeous view. But a lot of wind! We got back to sound check by around 4pm. They were running behind today- they had some trouble with some of the equipment. But we were pretty much ready to get started by then.

Heather and I.
As I was walking back to the green room I heard someone yell out, “Mackie!” So I turned around and it was one of favorite people, Tommy Vee! His brother and him had booked us for that gig. (I used to work with Tommy and all the Vee’s in Branson- yes, they are Bobby Vee's kids; and The Vee brothers became my brothers. They totally took me in and watched over me when my family wasn’t in town. Such a wonderful performing family! Such a wonderful family period!) And it is so great to see people while you are out on the road! I hadn’t seen him in over a year.

Sound check went pretty smooth- considering all the trouble they were having before we started! Soon we were done and waiting for the good ole’ Texas BBQ that they had promised us! We were all taken up to a room in the same building, and there it was. It was a beautiful sight! (Well, all of us went except my dad, he had to go back to the hotel.) The BBQ was unbelievable! Probably some of the best BBQ I’ve ever had! We were all in heaven!

But by 6pm we were back in the van and on our way back to the hotel. When we got there, we had just enough time to rest for a moment and then get moving again! Had to gather together all my stuff for the show, and meet everyone downstairs in the lobby at 7:30pm.

We drove down to the auditorium, and when we got there we all settled in the green room. Lots of joking around, as usual. I got to catch up a bit with Tommy Vee, and I also got to catch up with Johnny Preston’s wife and some of his family. I loved Johnny Preston. (He passed away a couple months ago. He was an incredible talent, and I loved working with him. He was a sweetheart.) His wife kept reminding me of the Birthday party I helped her throw for him when he was in Branson. It was so great to see her again!
The venue.

Some of my friends and family from The Woodlands came down and I said hello to them as well as I was getting ready. Then everyone was started to get prepared and ready for the show. The introduction video started and soon after that the band was in place on stage and I was making sure my dad made it to the right set of stairs to get up on the stage. (The show was also a benefit for the Gulf Coast Museum. It is an event that happens every year called the Gulf Coast Gala. It is a wonderful event!)

Right after dad walked on, I noticed that the wrong video was playing, so I ran to the other side of the stage. Tommy was in charge of the video, and it had gone a bit haywire. I said, “Hey, the wrong video is playing.” He calmly replied, “Yeah, I know, huh!” in a confused tone as he held the DVD clicker. We were trying to at least get it ready to do the “Unchained Melody” video, since that was the next video that was going to need to play, but it just wouldn’t do it! I was laughing, the technology just would not behave! It took a bit to get it fixed. But soon we were working again!
Bob, Gabe and I backstage.

I ran backstage to get changed and ready. I have to admit the humidity was wreaking havoc on my hair! But I did the best I could. Soon it was time for me to get on stage. The show went great! It was a benefit for The Gulf Coast Fund at Lamar State College. There were a few small problems… There was a note in front of dad reminding him that he was at Lamar State College, and to thank them for having him. But when he read the note, what he picked up wasn’t exactly right. He said, “I’d like to thank President Lamar for having us here.” (And there is no president Lamar.) The band and I started to crack up! We had a few funny things actually happen. Like when dad walked off stage like he always does right before I do a couple songs, and Gabe had just started this very sweet (and quiet) piano intro to “Help Me Make It Through The Night”, and all of a sudden we heard a big crash sound. Dad had walked off stage and set his microphone on a table, and it rolled right off the table and fell on the ground. But we made it through the show without any huge problems!

After the show, dad and I walked out to sign CDs. Heather was actually our merchandise girl for the night. Dad and I had a great time talking to everyone. We were out there for a while, then made it back to the green room to chill with the band for a little bit before we went back to the hotel. Some funny stories were shared, and then we were ready to load up into the van.
Gabe with his added fuzz to the
mustache area. Not quite sure why,
but I've learned not to ask such
questions...

The van ride to the hotel was entertaining. There were a lot of rows of seats in the van, and my dad was in the front. It seemed that no one could understand what people were staying. When dad wanted to tell me something he had to say something, then someone in one of the middle rows would have to relay it back to me, since I was in the very back. It was hilarious! Lots of yelling and confused conversations! Gabe was in a fun form. Talking about how he won’t drink milk because it comes from “bearded cow nipples”. Yes, these are the kinds of strange discussions we have. 

But we made it back to the hotel- safe and sound by 11:30pm.


May 1, 2011

Horseshoes! Look at me go!
We figured we were in no rush to leave, so Heather and I slept in and finally got back in the car and on the way back to The Woodlands around 12pm- after a quick stop at McAllister’s. Two hours in the car passed by quickly. Soon we were back in Heather’s neck of the woods, and got ready to head over to a friend’s house for a BBQ. Yummy! One of the guys talked me into playing some horseshoes… That was not my game! Going to need a little practice before I attempt that again! But it was a fun night!


My cousin Chris and his baby girl
Parker.
May 2, 2011

A full day of shopping in The Woodlands. Heather and I even got to go wedding dress shopping! No, neither of us are getting married yet, but I needed a dress for a video shoot. So we had a great time practicing for when it is the real deal for one of us! Also, that evening my Uncle Vern made me my favorite dinner. His potato pancakes! They were incredible as always! A perfect last night in Texas!


May 3, 2011

Well, alarms were ringing at 6:30am. I jumped out of bed and into the shower. Then I got my bags repacked. Which was a bit of a situation since my big suitcase had broke on the way to Texas, but I got some Gorilla tape and got that bad boy ready to go! (You have got to love Gorilla tape!) By 7:40am, Heather and I were out the door and on our way to the airport. I arrived at the perfect time, which was lucky since we did hit a little bit of traffic! But we said our goodbyes, and she headed off to work, and I headed on my way back to Missouri.

I got checked in at the Continental desk. Of course my bag was over weight! And I had to have an extra carry on bag. So I looked like I was running away from home! Way too much luggage for one person to have to handle! But I got it done! Made it through security in no time though, and went down to my gate. It was a weird situation, there was a separate little holding area just for my gate, because apparently my gate had a lot of sub-gates. It was strange, but it got it done!

My plane started to board right on time, and we were in the air by 9:30am. The flight was very quick and smooth. I just did a little reading and writing, and then all of a sudden I was on the ground in Kansas City. I got my bags at the carousel, and called the hotel to come pick me up and take me back to get my car. It took a while for the shuttle to get there. But after about thirty minutes, I was back in my own car, and starting to drive around Kansas City.

I had a big day or errands to run! I was all over Kansas City! I got so much done though, even I was impressed with myself! I even got done early enough to go and enjoy a movie. A perfect and peaceful night! I got checked into another airport hotel- the Four Points by Sheraton, and finally passed out- which was much deserved after the last crazy week in Texas! Plus, the next morning I started on a Canadian tour… More on that insanity soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment